10 Oct 2007

The Scatty Moments Competition

Been meaning to write about this for a while but I keep forgetting... but seriously, I have just had the internet equivalent of those moments when you walk into a room and think, now what did I come in here for - I opened a new tab in my browser and for the life of me I can't remember what I was going to look for.

I started calling these moments "scatty moments" after an occasion when I referred to one of these as a "senior moment" and somebody who happened to know that we're the same age made a comment which indicated he wasn't quite ready to accept the suggestion that at our age we're entitled to "senior moments". (For those who are not familiar with this term - it is a euphemism which I believe was developed in order to avoid saying the word "senile".)

So, I'm hereby announcing the official opening of the Scatty Moments Competition, non-exclusively open to anyone who reads this stuff and thinks they can outdo me. Here are some of my best:

  • Far too long ago to blame age I remember making a coffee, putting the milk on the stove and going to put the kettle in the fridge.

  • In my days of working in an office, I had a pile of papers which needed to be faxed; I got up from my desk, picked up those papers and walked down the corridor. But instead of turning right towards the fax machine I went straight on to the photocopier and copied the whole lot.

  • Recently I took the vegetable peels out to the back garden and opened the rubbish bin, nearly tipped the peels in before realising this was not the compost bin.

  • Years ago, when I didn't have a computer at home and I used to go to an internet cafe once in a while, I typed up a couple of poems which I wanted to email to a whole load of friends. Typed up the poems, sent the email, deleted the poems from the computer because I didn't want to leave them lying around on a public computer, then walked home from the internet cafe, and... yes, you guessed it: I had forgotten to click Attach.
Now, what was I doing? Ah, yes, save and publish, that's it...

No comments: