7 Apr 2010

Slightly over the top, in my view!

There are Christians in some countries who go to prison for their faith. There are places where people are tortured and in some cases even killed just because they have chosen to become Christians. And in England a nurse has filed a claim for unfair dismissal because she was not allowed to wear a crucifix on a chain at work.

I'm sorry but I fail to feel the slightest bit of solidarity with this woman. As the tribunal chairman pointed out when he refused her claim, wearing a cross is not a requirement of the Christian faith. She was not, as far as I understand from this newspaper article, required to hide her faith - the hospital had even suggested she might pin her crucifix to her uniform! Their reason for asking her to remove it from the chain was because of a health & safety concern that patients might pull on it - ok, I think that's health & safety concerns going over the top, but to suggest that this is a case of religious discrimination is way off the mark. And to say, "This is a very bad day for Christianity" - sorry, but it seems to me that a sense of proportion is rather lacking there.

No comments: