30 Nov 2007

Chain emails - please, think before you press the Forward button!

This guy says it so well!

But seriously, there are so many scary emails going round these days, and we could minimise everyone's stress by taking the trouble to check out the stories before we pass them on. There's an excellent website for this purpose: http://www.snopes.com/ - they sort out the true stories from the many hoaxes and urban legends doing the rounds.

And as for the other kind of chain emails, the nice stories - I read them, enjoy them, think how lovely and inspiring they are, and then, wham, I'm hit by the obnoxious bit of emotional blackmail at the end, telling me that if I don't pass this on to x number of people then I'm not a good friend or I don't really believe in God or whatever. Grrrr... But guess what, I've discovered a fantastic secret - it is actually possible to delete that horrible stuff at the end and then pass on just the nice story. And no, there is no secret spy inside your computer that will report you to the chain-email police, though there may be an email coming through to warn you of that too...

No comments: