16 Dec 2007

Wearing trousers better for the environment?

I know the connection may not seem obvious, but really, I've found that the choice whether to wear trousers or a skirt can actually make a difference in terms of the amount of paper we use and how much we contribute to landfill. The thing is, trousers tend to have pockets, so when you blow your nose you can put your tissue in your pocket and reuse it. Whereas if you wear a skirt, you're either going to throw the tissue away after using it just once, or you'll stuff it inside your sleeve or somewhere and drop it in awkward places and/or at awkward moments.

It's funny how for years it just hadn't crossed my mind - whilst zealously recycling bus tickets and till receipts, I just didn't think of the fact that paper tissues were also made of paper, and of course they can't be recycled so that's more of a reason to think about minimising their use. I did actually try going back to handkerchiefs, but was always finding that my hankie was in the pocket of the trousers I'd worn yesterday, and when you need to sneeze it is kind of urgent...

No comments: