1 Aug 2008

Got a letter composed by someone who obviously understands nothing about procrastination

Got a letter from the Inland Revenue today - a very nice and friendly letter telling me about all sorts of ways they can help me with filling in my tax return.

But what really cracked me up was this bit, when they're telling me about the possibility of filling it in online: "You also benefit from a three month longer deadline of 31 January if you file your tax return online." So far so good, but look at the very next sentence and see where the logical connection just completely falls apart: "So there's absolutely no reason to put it off." No reason to put it off? When you've just told me you're giving me 3 months longer? You've just given me a very good reason to put it off. Why do it now if I've got till January?

My conclusion is that whoever wrote this letter obviously doesn't understand the inner world of the procrastinator. Maybe the Inland Revenue have a policy of weeding out procrastinators at interview stage? (Well, I suppose if you're really bad at it you just won't ever get round to sending in your CV...)

No comments: