15 Aug 2007

All this packaging!!!

I got a package delivered this morning. I still can't believe the size of the box. 38cmx30cmx19cm - I've just measured it. It looks big enough to hold several cats, or a few dictionaries. Do you know what it was that I ordered online and received in this box today?

Go on, have a guess...

Think of something really small...

No, really really small...

No, you'll never guess. We're talking about two ink cartridges for my printer. Two ink cartridges! Delivered in a massive cardboard box, with bubble wrap inside, and a huge amount of air.

It's not that I'm a manic green fanatic, don't get me wrong, I do lots of things that would get the green police on my case if they only knew... but you'd just think that companies would have twigged by now about the question of trees being chopped down to make cardboard, and about the need for minimal packaging, and that they would make sure they have different size boxes available for the packaging of different size orders, wouldn't you?

I must say though, today's example isn't the worst I've seen. At least they didn't fill the box with unnecessary padding. I once ordered a calendar online and it arrived at the bottom of a massive box, underneath a mountain of those poly-something wormlike things... what do you call them? I'm sure you know what I mean. It's that stuff that is used for protecting delicate electrical equipment in shipping. If you know what it's called, post a comment here and enlighten me.

So, here's a little ethical dilemma to make the day more interesting: is it better to shop online, thus saving on car use (not to mention the attractive low prices); or to go to the shop, not forgetting to take your reusable bags, thus avoiding excess packaging and also supporting the real (as opposed to virtual) shops, which if we all shop online are going to gradually go out of business?

No comments: